Community Food Security Organizations
- University of Florida Food Pantry: Alan and Cathy Hitchcock Pantry https://pantry.fieldandfork.ufl.edu/ Free non-perishable food, vegetables, toiletries, and more for the UF community experiencing food insecurity.
- Santa Fe College Food Pantry: Gainesville Harvest https://www.facebook.com/pg/gainesvilleharvestsf/ Food pantry for the SF College community in need.
- Bread of the Mighty Food Bank, https://www.breadofthemighty.org/ Gathers and distributes food for the elderly, school pantries, and mobile food pantries.
- GRACE Marketplace, http://www.gracemarketplace.org/ An outreach program that serves the homeless and those in need, preparing, cooking, and serving meals at Café 131.
- Alachua County Social Services, Assisted Food Service Providers. http://www.alachuacounty.us/Depts/CSS/SocialServices/Pages/AssistedFoodServiceProviders.aspx Provides a long list of local Alachua County food service organizations for those in need, with location and contact information.
- Feeding Florida: Florida’s Network of Food Banks, https://www.feedingflorida.org/ Information about food insecurity, and a searchable map to find the emergency food assistance resources closest to you.
- Fresh Access Bucks (FAB), http://www.foginfo.org/our-programs/fresh-access-bucks/ Program that allows SNAP/EBT recipients to use EBT at Farmers Markets across Florida. SNAP recipients spend $10 within a week at a registered Farmers Market to be awarded an additional $10 per week to spend on Farmers Market fruits and veggies.
- Florida Department of Economic Opportunities – Workforce Program http://www.floridajobs.org/office-directory/division-of-workforce-services/ Department to support Floridians to gain employment.
- Working Food, workingfood.org A non-profit organization that works to cultivate and sustain a resilient local food community. Programs include: Culinary Kitchen Incubator, Southern Heritage Seed Collective, Youth Gardens, and Local Food Week.
UF Food and Nutrition Education Programs and Clubs
- UF Field and Fork Program, http://fieldandfork.ufl.edu/Promotes hands on learning in sustainable agriculture and food systems. You can volunteer at Farm and Gardens, and they also host classes and community groups.
- UF Food Science and Human Nutrition (FSHN) Club, https://www.facebook.com/groups/uffshnclub/. The UF FSHN Club helps develop and teaching cooking class for nutritious diets.
- The Campus Kitchens Project at the University of Florida https://www.facebook.com/CampusKitchenUF/ Student group that rescues cooked food to prepare for those in need.
- UF Culinary Arts Student Union (CASU) https://www.facebook.com/casuat.uf/ Cooking club available to UF students. They host cooking classes, demos, and events.
- Organic and Sustainable Agriculture Club and Gator Gardening Club http://hos.ufl.edu/clubs/organic-gators-club. Student clubs that promote healthy eating through gardening and education about plants.
- IFAS Food Security, https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topic_food_security. Informational site to learn more about topics of food insecurity.
- UF Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) Extension
- Family Nutrition Program (IFAS-FNP) familynutritionprogram.org Offers a wide variety of programs on cooking and eating nutritious food on a budget.
- IFAS Cooking Matters in Your Community https://cookingmatters.org/in-your-community Offers one-time cooking demos.
- Alachua County Extension http://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/alachua/ Offering gardening, cooking, and other related classes, workshops and support to our community.
UF Wellness and Financial Services
- Careers at UF https://jobs.ufl.edu/ Job listings on campus.
- Counseling and Wellness Center https://counseling.ufl.edu/ Offers individual counseling on a variety of topics
- Gator CareerLink https://career.ufl.edu/students/prepare-for-your-search/find-experience/ Career services for job search assistance.
- Gator Dining Nutrition Services https://gatordining.com/on-campus-resources/ Gator Dining offers support for food allergies and a registered dietician that can answer questions regarding meal plans, campus dining, and nutrition.
- GatorWell http://gatorwell.ufsa.ufl.edu/ A program at UF focused on empowering UF students to be healthy and well through prevention. They offer Wellness Coaching and many other services.
- Get Fruved http://www.Fruved.com A student club that aims to improve healthful dietary intake, increase physical activity, and improve overall stress management skills amongst college students.
- Healthy Gators healthygators.ufl.edu Gators is a coalition of University of Florida departments and organizations who work together to identify key health issues and trends at UF. Their webpage links to a number of campus resources and events for wellness.
- HR Wellness https://worklife.hr.ufl.edu/wellness/ Offers a broad set of wellness classes and resources for UF Staff.
- Rec Sports http://recsports.ufl.edu/fitness/nutrition-services RecSports offers Nutrition Services by a registered and licensed dietitian to enhance and empower overall wellness. Nutrition Services offers one-on-one nutrition counseling to UF students and the UF community.
- Student Financial Affairs https://www.sfa.ufl.edu/ Assistance with financial aid and financial planning tools.
- Student Health Care Center (Infirmary), https://shcc.ufl.edu/services/specialty-care/nutrition-services/ Nutrition services and consultations are available.
Local Farms and Fresh Produce
- Gator Community Support Agriculture (CSA) Program https://fieldandfork.ufl.edu/programs/gator-csa/ Pay for membership fee. Farmers provide fresh vegetables, fruits, and other farm products directly to consumer-members. Produce is available throughout the growing season.
- Gainesville Farms
- Farmer’s Markets There are many other farms in Alachua County. You can find many of them at our local farmers markets.
- Alachua County, 5920 NW 13th St, Gainesville, FL 32653, Every Saturday from 8:30 am – 12 pm
- Haile Plantation, 5213 SW 91 Terrace, Gainesville, FL 32608, Every Saturday from 8:30 am – 12 pm
- High Springs, Plantation Oaks, 201 NE 1st Avenue, High Springs, FL, Every Thursday from 12pm – dusk and first Saturdays from 9 am – 1 pm
- Keystone Heights Farmers’ Market, Natural Park, State Road 21, 555 S. Lawrence Boulevard, Keystone Heights, Saturdays 9:00am-1:00pm
- Newberry Farmers Market, W Newberry Road at the railroad crossing on N. Seaboard Drive, Newberry, FL, Every Saturday starting at 8 am
- Tioga Monday Market, Tioga Town Center, 13005 W Newberry Road, Newberry, FL, Every Monday from 4 pm – 7 pm
- Union Street Downtown Market, 111 E University Ave, Gainesville, FL 32601, Every Wednesday from 4 – 7 pm
- WIC Farmer’s Market at the Alachua County Health Department, 224 SE 24th Street, Gainesville, FL, Every Friday from 10 am – 2 pm