The Field & Fork Program offers internships every semester for UF undergraduate students looking for agricultural experience, college credit, and the chance to explore the practical and applied components of our local food system.
Stay tuned for Fall 2023 application deadline announcements!
Interns have the opportunity to work in the field learning all aspects of producing food for the Alan and Cathy Hitchcock Field & Fork Pantry on campus, to network with community organizations and industry partners, and to be part of a diverse team learning and growing together.
All interns develop personalized learning objectives in collaboration with Field & Fork staff, and join in weekly intern meetings in which we read and discuss a series of topics concerning sustainable food systems. The program is 10+ hours a week for the duration of the semester, so that we all get the most learning and productivity from the experience. We work in three hour shifts during weekdays (no weekend work for the most part!), so bear that in mind as you’re considering applying. We try to be flexible about timing, but it can get tricky with a heavy course load.
Interns will also take the lead for a specific role on the farm. Projects and roles may vary by semester, but here are a few examples:
- Compost: Research and manage an efficient composting process on-site to feed farm soils.
- Harvest: Oversee harvest, post-harvest processing, and delivery to Alan and Cathy Hitchcock Pantry.
- Propagation: Help manage our greenhouse to grow seedlings for the farm.
- Outreach: Develop and conduct an engaging and fun social media and outreach campaign.
- Integrated Pest Management: Help manage pests, pollinators, and predators in our agroecological system.
- LA Urban Farms: Manage vertical towers gardens (aeroponic!) around campus.
- International Forest Garden: Enhance and grow the diverse agroforestry space.
- Gleaning: Work with local farms to harvest excess produce from the fields.
We prioritize providing internships for students looking to further their academic program through for-credit internships, however we also offer a limited number of paid internships. Exceptional students may be invited to stay on for a second semester, to serve as a paid Team Leader! Please feel free to reach out to Anna with any questions or to discuss opportunities. We’re looking forward to working with you!